TOP 10 ABUSES OF THEORY AND LOGIC
[Author is unknown]
10. IRRELEVANT COMPARISONS:
Example: $100 is a good price for a toaster, compared to buying a Ferrari.
9. INCOMPLETENESS AS PROOF OF FACT
Example: Your theory of gravity doesn't address the question of why there
are no unicorns, so it must be wrong.
8. IGNORING THE ADVICE OF EXPERTS WITHOUT GOOD REASON:
Example: Sure the experts say you shouldn't ride a bicycle in the eye of a
hurricane, but I have my own theory.
7. REACHING BIZARRE CONCLUSIONS WITHOUT ANY INFORMATION:
Example: My car won't start. I'm certain the spark plugs have been stolen by
6. OVERAPPLICATION OF OCCAM'S RAZOR
(WHICH SAYS THAT THE SIMPLEST EXPLANATION MUST BE CORRECT):
Example: The simplest explanation for the moon landings is that they were
5. INABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THAT SOME THINGS HAVE MULTIPLE CAUSES:
Example: The Beatles were popular for one reason only: they were good
4. JUDGING THE WHOLE BY ONE OF IT'S CHARACTERISTICS:
Example: The sun causes sunburns. Therefore the planet would be better off
without the sun.
3. BLAMING THE TOOL:
Example: I bought an encyclopedia but I'm still stupid.
2. TAKING THINGS TO THEIR ILLOGICAL CONCLUSION:
Example: If you let your barber cut your hair, they next thing you know
he'll be lopping your limbs off.
1. PROOF BY LACK OF EVIDENCE:
Example: I've never seen you drunk, so you must be one of those Amish